REGULAR PLAY (as of 2022-05-01) (follow links for directions) * Sundays at 8am & 9am at Brandi Fenton Memorial Park * Thursdays at 8am at Harold Bell Wright Park
For petanque in Oro Valley visit the Oro Valley Petanque website.
The Tucson Petanque Club is an informal group of Tucson residents and winter visitors, located in Tucson, Arizona, USA. We play throughout the year, adjusting playing times to the seasons, using this web site to co-ordinate times and places to play. (For practical reasons, we do not play on Thanksgiving day, Christmas eve, or Christmas day.)
- To join us, simply come out and play with us. We keep no membership list and there are no club dues; it is absolutely free to play with us.
- Visitors and beginners are always welcome.
- If you don’t have your own boules, we have guest boules.
- If you’ve never played before, we’ll be happy to get you started with a short lesson. If you’d just like to observe, that’s fine too.
- If you play with us regularly, sign up for our email notifications. This will keep you in the loop for club-related news, and you can easily un-subscribe whenever you wish.
- To contact us, see THIS.
- Note that consumption of wine or liquor is prohibited in Tucson city parks.
- For safety reasons, glass containers are prohibited in Tucson city parks.
- Note that TPC does not exist as a legal entity and our meetings are not covered by event liability insurance. Participate at your own risk.
Our normal schedule
We organize teams and start promptly at the announced time. Please arrive a few minutes early— late arrivals make team-formation more difficult. We typically play for approximately two hours, but players stay as long as they like and are free to leave at any time.
Our rain cancellation policy
For our rain cancellation policy, and guidance for playing during the monsoon season, see THIS.
Where to park
In the menu bar at the top of this page, there is a DIRECTIONS item with links to pages containing directions (and parking information) about each of our regular playing areas.
Want to play at some other day, time, location?
How to contact us
To contact us send us a message in a comment. Your message will be forwarded to us and we will be able to reply to you via email.
Email and telephone contact information (as well as information about our rain cancellation policy) can be found HERE.
How to sign up for email notifications
If you plan to play with us regularly, we strongly recommend that you sign up for email notifications. If you sign up for email notifications, any news or announcement that is posted on this page will also be forwarded to you in an email message. New posts are also copied to our Facebook page.
To sign up for email notifications, log out of WordPress (if you are logged in). Then in the right-hand column of this page, look for Follow Blog via Email. Follow the directions.
How to unsubscribe or change your email address
There will be an “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of each of our email messages, so you can easily unsubscribe whenever you wish. If you change your email address, you can unsubscribe from the old address and subscribe again with your new email address. Winter visitors can subscribe when they arrive in Tucson and unsubscribe when they leave.
Never played before?
If you would like to learn, or just try, petanque, come down and join us. We’ll give you a short lesson and you’ll be good to go. You don’t need to be “athletic” to play petanque. If you can swing an arm, you can play and enjoy petanque. Petanque is a game of skill, not strength, and men and women can compete on an equal footing. We have kid-size guest boules for those smaller hands.
Buying a set of boules
In petanque, each player typically owns his/her own set of three boules (metal balls). We provide guest boules, but if after playing for a while you want to buy your own set, you can order petanque boules online. For tips on buying boules, visit the Buying Boules page.
Loaner boules program
Regular players without their own set of boules are encouraged to “check out” a set of our guest boules, like checking out a book from the library. This is a good option for winter visitors and for beginners who don’t yet own their own set of boules. To check out a set of guest boules, contact us.
For more information about petanque
- Petanque Portal USA has links to the most useful petanque web sites.
- All about Petanque covers general facts about the game and its traditions.
- The Rules of Petanque is a good source for the official rules.
- Information about our local (club) rules is HERE.
About other petanque groups in Arizona
For more information on any of these groups, visit the Arizona page in the American Petanque Directory.
- Oro Valley Petanque
- Phoenix Petanque
- Jerome/Verde Valley/Sedona area has a well-established club (Ghouls with Boules) that plays regularly in Jerome.
- Bisbee has a group that plays regularly on Saturday afternoons.
- In Tucson and Yuma winter visitors in RV parks play during the winter months.
Bocce in Tucson
See our Bocce in Tucson page.