Our 2014-15 winter season is over and
The Tucson Petanque Club is an informal group of Tucson residents and winter visitors. We use this web site to organize our meets, but we don’t keep a membership list. To join us, simply come out and play with us. If you wish, you can sign up for email notifications of our events (see below).
- We play at the Reid Park bandshell terrain at 2 pm on Sunday afternoon.
- Visitors and beginners welcome.
- If you have boules, bring ’em. If you don’t, we have guest boules.
- If you’d just like to watch, that’s fine. We have lawn chairs.
- Bring a bottle of water. It’s easy to get dehydrated in Tucson.
- We recommend that you leave your purse and other valuables in the car. We’ve never had any problems, but you’ll be able to concentrate better on the game if you’re not worrying about something else.
- Note that consumption of wine or liquor is prohibited in Tucson city parks.
Last-minute contact information
For last-minute questions, directions, cancellations, and weather reports call Steve Ferg on his cell phone at (520) 664-4133.
How to get email notifications of upcoming events
If you sign up for email notifications, whenever news of an event (or cancellation) is posted here, the post will be sent to you in an email message. The email messages contain an “unsubscribe” link, so you can unsubscribe whenever you wish.
If you have a WordPress account — Follow us on WordPress by looking to the right side of this page, clicking on the blue Follow Tucson Petanque Club button, and logging in.
If you have a Facebook account — “Like” our Facebook page.
Otherwise — Look to the right and find the Follow Blog via Email heading.
Beneath it, below Join ## other followers —
(1) enter your email address, and then
(2) click the Follow button.
Never played before?
If you would like to learn, or just try, petanque, come down and join us. We’ll give you a free five-minute lesson and you’ll be good to go. You don’t need to be especially “athletic” to play petanque. If you can swing an arm, you can play and enjoy petanque. Petanque is a game of skill, not strength, and men and women can compete on an equal footing. We have kid-size guest boules for those smaller hands.
Buying a set of boules
In petanque, each player typically owns his or her own set of boules (metal balls). We provide guest boules, but if after playing for a while you want to own your own set, we can sell you a set of Petanque America leisure boules for $20. Or you can order your own boules online. For tips on buying boules online, visit the Buying Boules page. The best online store for petanque boules is the Petanque America online store.
How to contact us
To contact us send us a message (below). Your message will be forwarded to us via email, and we will be able to reply to you via email.
For more information about the game of petanque
- Petanque Portal USA has links to the most useful petanque web sites.
- The All about Petanque blog covers all the basics of the game and its traditions.
About other petanque clubs in Arizona
- There is a well-established club in the Jerome/Verde Valley/Sedona area. Contact information is available on the American Petanque Directory.
- In the Phoenix area, petanque players are currently trying to find each other. Check out the web site of the Phoenix Petanque Club. Also, you might find contact information for Phoenix petanque players on the American Petanque Directory.
A good two-minute video introduction to petanque